Mopeds, Scooters and e-Bikes have been a recent phenomenon and are growing in popularity at an astonishing rate. Mopeds and e-Bikes first became extremely popular in European countries and took off. It wasn't until recently that we have seen a spike in North American countries starting to adapt and use these.
While we group Mopeds, Scooters and e-Bikes together, they are actually different. A moped and scooter are gas powered vehicle and an e-Bike (short for electric bike) is powered by a battery. Both are a great cheaper alternative than owning a car, van, truck or larger vehicle.
Mopeds and Scooters will get you from point A to B a little faster than e-Bikes, but also will cost a tad more as they do take gas, with that in mind, they are extremely efficient on fuel and depending on the make and model can go fairly car between fill-ups. e-Bikes are a little slower, but are much cheaper as they are totally electric powered, the downside is you need to charge the battery between trips.
Some advantages of Mopeds, Scooters and e-Bikes over cars, vans, trucks and other traditional vehicles:
- They are much smaller and easier to maneuver
- They are much cheaper to buy
- They are much cheaper to operate
- They are much cheaper to maintain
- Insurance is often free (check with your local laws)
- License requirements – normally a license is not required (check with your local laws)
- Versatility – It’s much easier to learn to drive a Moped, Scooter or e-Bike
- Age requirements (check with your local laws)
As you can see, there are several advantages of owning these smaller vehicles. It’s no surprise why thousands of people are either switching from their current vehicles or just plain adding one to their personal fleet.